hearts joys

hearts joys

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dad Never Taught That!

Well, Parents are responsible to teach their children how to live the "Christian" lifestyle, as is the church.  This post is in partial response to a question my son had.  I received some second hand information about something going on in my son's life.  It seems there are some people in India, and I might add here in the US and most likely all over the world, that  have some problems with reading the wrong kind of books.  My son took this problem to a pastor in India and then the pastor handed the work of listing or something like that things that would be appropriate to read.
As a father, who will admit first hand that he also has had similar problems, here is my advice to my son and future sons-in-laws and also anyone who may be reading this.
First:  I don't want my children to someday have to say "Dad, you never taught me this".
Second:  What is the job of the Church or assembly?
                  It is the teaching and equipping of believers.
If we go about making lists of things that are acceptable or unacceptable for believers we begin the process of becoming like the Pharisees.  We as a group begin to take the place of Ruach Haqodesh or Holy Spirit.  One of the jobs of the Spirit is the convicting believers of sin.  The assembly should be teaching and equipping believers to recognize what Scripture says concerning how believers are to be imitators of Messiah.

2Ti 3:14 But you, stay in what you have learned and trusted, having known from whom you have learned,
2Ti 3:15 and that from a babe you have known the Set-apart Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for deliverance through belief in Messiah יהושע.
2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed by Elohim and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for setting straight, for instruction in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of Elohim might be fitted, equipped for every good work.
 If we teach and instruct then we shouldn't need a list of do's and don'ts.  The church should not need their rules, or standards.  The Scriptures should be the standard. 

So, what then is the standard that Scripture would use for book reading, movies, etc?
Let's start with Romans 12:
Rom 12:1 I call upon you, therefore, brothers, through the compassion of Elohim, to present your bodies a living offering – set-apart, well-pleasing to Elohim – your reasonable worship.
Rom 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you prove what is that good and well-pleasing and perfect desire of Elohim.

The questions to ask as we look at reading something or watching something would be...
How does this edify me and make me more like Messiah?
Does this renew my mind or does it make me more world like?
Does this help me to be set-apart?

Let's take a look at another Scripture.
Php 4:8 For the rest, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is righteous, whatever is clean, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good report, if there is any uprightness and if there is any praise – think on these.

Php 4:9 And what you have learned and received and heard and saw in me, practice these, and the Elohim of peace shall be with you.

If what you are watching or reading or doing does not meet the guidelines found here in Scripture where is our heart taking us?  As believers we are to be set-apart.
1Pe 1:13 Therefore, having girded up the loins of your mind, being sober, set your expectation perfectly upon the favor that is to be brought to you at the revelation of יהושע Messiah,
1Pe 1:14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts in your ignorance,
1Pe 1:15 instead, as the One who called you is set-apart, so you also should become set-apart in all behavior,
1Pe 1:16 because it has been written, "Be set-apart, for I am set-apart."
1Pe 1:17 And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, pass the time of your sojourning in fear,

1Pe 1:18 knowing that you were redeemed from your futile way of life inherited from your fathers, not with what is corruptible, silver or gold,

So what does this look like in real life?  In society today we are inundated with all kinds of sensory stimulation that could very well lead us to sin.  Jon, do you remember being in the grocery store one summer and a young gal in front of us at the check out was wearing things that were very immodest?
What did I do?  I turned, I looked away.  The same principle applies to books and movies and life, anything that would keep us from being set apart we turn away from.
If we want to build lives for the long term and not short term we must teach them how to apply Scripture to their lives and not lists of rules.


Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall. (Matt. 7:24-27 NKJV)
Steve Farrar. Anchor Man: How a Father Can Anchor His Family in Christ for the Next 100 Years (Kindle Locations 717-720). Kindle Edition.

And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. (Deut 6: 6-7)
Steve Farrar. Anchor Man: How a Father Can Anchor His Family in Christ for the Next 100 Years (Kindle Locations 818-820). Kindle Edition.

"That's what I mean, Dad. You look away. And that's what you tell those guys at your conferences to do. I've heard you tell them that for years. That's why I watch you so closely. I want to see if you will do what you say a man should do." "One of the reasons I look away is that I know you are watching me. That's why the real test of a man is his character instead of his reputation." Then Josh jumped in and said, "Dad, reputation is what people think you are. But character is what you are when no one else is around. That's what you teach, Dad." "That's right, Josh. Maybe John has never seen me look, but the real test is if I look when no one else is around. You see, God is always around. And He's looking for men who will obey Him when they're all by themselves." I don't tell you that story because it makes me look good. The fact of the matter is that I have looked. But I am constantly working to discipline myself not to look.

Steve Farrar. Anchor Man: How a Father Can Anchor His Family in Christ for the Next 100 Years (Kindle Locations 889-892). Kindle Edition.

You see kids, rules and regulations can't take the place of developing a set-apart character through Messiah.  Use the Scriptures to teach about a true set apart life for Messiah.

I love you with all my heart and my deepest wish for all of you reading this is that you will desire to serve Yahweh Elohim with your whole hearts and you can't do that by following a list of do's and don'ts.
Let me leave you with this thought

Joh 15:8 "In this My Father is esteemed, that you bear much fruit, and you shall be My taught ones.
Joh 15:9 "As the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you. Stay in My love.
Joh 15:10 "If you guard My commands, you shall stay in My love,1 even as I have guarded My Father’s commands and stay in His love. Footnote: 1See 14:15.
Joh 15:11 "These words I have spoken to you, so that My joy might be in you, and that your joy might be complete.

Joh 15:12 "This is My command, that you love one another, as I have loved you

Deu 6:1 "And this is the command, the laws and right-rulings which יהוה your Elohim has commanded, to teach you to do in the land which you are passing over to possess,
Deu 6:2 so that you fear יהוה your Elohim, to guard all His laws and His commands which I command you, you and your son and your grandson, all the days of your life, and that your days be prolonged.
Deu 6:3 "And you shall hear, O Yisra’ĕl, and shall guard to do, that it might be well with you, and that you increase greatly as יהוה Elohim of your fathers has spoken to you, in a land flowing with milk and honey.
Deu 6:4 "Hear, O Yisra’ĕl: יהוה our Elohim, יהוה is one!
Deu 6:5 "And you shall love יהוה your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your being, and with all your might.
Deu 6:6 "And these Words which I am commanding you today shall be in your heart,

Deu 6:7 and you shall impress them upon your children, and shall speak of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up

No comments: